Life with #SoberSon is going pretty well these days.
Three years ago, not so much. Then finally recovery came. For real this time.
Because things were so bleak, it was hard to be hopeful but our family maintained a hopeful outlook even on the darkest days.
In our son’s early recovery, our hopes slowly turned into beliefs as he began to rebuild his life.
- Moving back home.
- Attending and graduating from a high-intensity out-patient treatment program focused on addiction to opioids.
- Passing random UAs.
- Working through his journey with an amazing LADC.
- Rebuilding relationships with family and friends.
- Getting a job and saving money.
- Returning to college to get an associate’s degree in mathematics – and paying for it himself!
- Getting straight A’s.
- Making plans to complete his bachelor’s degree.
- Thinking about law school in the future.
- And more!
This partial list is a living, breathing reminder that #SoberSon is making progress. But what makes it all the more rewarding is that he shares his successes with us – and his challenges. That’s not the way it always was when he was using.
Now he’s more of an open book, which in turn means we trust him more and give him even greater privacy and independence. It’s amazing how that works.
In spite of all the positive things going on, life still has its ups and downs but #SoberSon is better equipped to deal with these and it warms my heart when he shares the good and the not so good. He knows we are on his team – just as we always have been. But now he believes it.
Setbacks no longer derail him, and for that I am proud and happy. Yes, recovery works!
©2017 Our Young Addicts All Rights Reserved